Providing hard data for a listed utility
The communications team for a large utility company could no longer rely on intuition-based monitoring to demonstrate its value to management and the Board. It decided to work with McNamara Research to come up with some hard data.
- Compare the company’s news and social media reputation and brand presence with a group of key competitors.
- Determine how the company’s brand appeared in news about climate and the environment.
- Evaluate its interactions with the Government as well as the media’s reactions to these.
- A customised dashboard updated to meet a tight end-of-month deadline and including metrics about news, social media, marketing campaigns, sustainability topics and competitor performance.
- Measurements including the success of company spokespeople in the media, the outcomes for proactive and defensive public relations, and the impact of critical voices in the media.
- Additional “outtakes” – a set of quality observations highlighting media successes and failures, showing the company how it is tracking against competitors, and how it might achieve its best PR outcomes against a set of goals month on month.